What is Natural Resource Management?
The sustainable management of Australia's natural resources (our land, water, marine and biological systems) to ensure our ongoing social, economic and environmental wellbeing.
Dowerin’s Natural Resource Management Officer (NRMO) is Misty Richards who is available at the Shire of Dowerin Administration Offices Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday from 8.30am to 3.00pm. The role of Dowerin’s NRMO is about helping the community of Dowerin protect the environment in a sustainable way so that our future generations may enjoy the life we live today.
Services and resources available to you from the NRM Officer;
- Water quality testing – for salinity and pH levels i.e. To test suitability of bore water for livestock,
- On site farm visits to determine best practice methods to overcome rising salt and water tables (limited due to part-time work schedule),
- Links to professionals in water hydrology, saltland pasture, soil health and Biosecurity,
- Educational literature on sustainable land use, alternative farming enterprises, burning policies, soil guides, weed and native plant identification, Australian wildlife encyclopedias,
- Guidance for active Catchment Groups or advice for new Catchment Groups
- Assistance with grant applications,
- Ongoing information source for funding opportunities, rebates, trials, field days and so on.
- Promotion of recycling programs
- Equipment available to hire including hand held tree planters and the Chatfield Ezy Planter.
Some of the current and ongoing projects for the Shire of Dowerin include;
- revegetating of degraded sites in Namalkatchem Reserve